Saturday, June 13, 2015

Call NO MAN Father?

NOTE:
This is a repost from a former blog I used to write on, but I have still been asked the question on why we call our priests Father.

 Though, one common question that has been popping up lately is why we call our priests "father".


So, I decided to repost it on this blog to clear up some things:

I get asked a lot by protestants why not call our Priests and "Father" instead of "Pastor".

In fact, many of them think it's a really bad thing that we refer to them as "Father".

For example:

 When my husband and I brought a Baptist friend of ours to our church for a visit, he asked "So what do I call your priest?"

(Note, for the purpose of this blog, I'm changing the name of our priest for privacy purposes)

We said "Call him Father Nate*."

He said, "I can't do that!"

"Why?" I asked.

"Because, I will only call my heavenly Father and my earthly father, "father".

I was a little confused, but so to not make him uncomfortable, we told him, that if he needed to address him, he could try calling him "Vicar".


I've actually heard this statement before and was a bit confused.

So, I decided to do some research.

You see, most protestants (particularly ones of dispensation theology) have this same philosophy. I wondered where, when I found a verse in Matthew 23:

"And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."

Only thing is, if you take the verse THAT literally, then you shouldn't even call your earthly father, "Father".


However, that is not true, because the Bible references the male parent, as "father" many times.


Most famously is the ten commandments "Honor thy FATHER and mother".


To understand this verse, you must understand the context.

So what is the context?

Well, to find this out, I had to turn to the Roman Catholics.


I went online and found an explanation from a Roman Catholic Priest. Unfortunately, I can not find the article anymore, but here's what it said:


 "Jesus, in this context is using, a figure of speech known as a hyperbole.

Definition of a hyperbole is: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

It doesn't mean that we cannot call our own earthly father, "father" because that would deprive The symbol of God's fatherhood meaning.

Jesus in this context is trying to make a point?

So? What's the point?

Christ was using this hyperbole as a way to show the scribes and Pharisees how sinful and proud they were for not looking humbly to God as the source of all authority and fatherhood and teaching, and instead setting themselves up as the ultimate authorities, father figures, and teachers.


He's telling us not to confuse our heavenly father, with any father like figure on this earth.

Because God is the ultimate authority above all."

So you can still call your earthly father, "father".

What about calling Priests/ pastors "father". Is it Biblical?


Actually, yes! It is Biblical to refer to a religious authority as father.

Where you may ask?

In Acts, The old testament prophet Abraham is referred as Father by Saint Stephen.

Acts 7:2
"This was Stephen's reply: "Brothers and fathers, listen to me. Our glorious God appeared to our ancestor Abraham in Mesopotamia before he settled in Haran."

And in Romans 9:10, Saint Paul refers to Isaac as "our father Isaac"

In fact, during Paul's Ministry, he himself is referenced as a father.

in 1 Cor 4:17, Paul refers to Saint Timothy as "my son whom I love".

In Titus 1:4, He calls Titus "My true son in our common faith".

 Neither of these men were Paul’s literal, biological sons. Rather, Paul is emphasizing his spiritual fatherhood with them.



Now, with all this being said, does that mean that every Christian in Every denomination call their pastor "Father".

No, not necessarily.

Pastor comes from the Greek word, "Poimen" which means "Shepard". And we all know the context



And if, you still feel uncomfortable using the term "father" when addressing a priest, that's fine. I do encourage that you continue to do research, but if you are more comfortable to address a priest by "Vicar" that's fine.


I just ask that at least now you understand why Lutherans, Anglicans, Episcopalians, Catholics use this term. It's not just tradition they do because they've done it for centuries. They do it because there is biblical truth to it! 

 and the symbolism the Bible uses between a shepherd and his flock.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the "favourite" arguments of people who are not in a church where the vicars are not called as father, that it is somehow wrong. I joined Eastern Orthodox church (I was Lutheran before) where our vicar are also called father so and so. Lutherans in Finland do not call vicars nothing else - calling vicar father is only in the Eastern Orthodox church or catholic, which both are only 1% of the population or even less.

    ReplyDelete