Saturday, June 27, 2015

How Orthodoxy Helps my A.D.D.

So I went to visit my grandmother's house a few days ago, and the subject of the Rosary came up.

My Grandmother is a Methodist so, she was a bit concerned when she heard that I was praying the Rosary almost on a regular bases.

I explained to her that the different prayers come from scripture as I have mentioned in a previous post.

She's still doesn't get the Rosary, but she told me something that made me think a bit.

She said she was having a conversation with one of my aunt's about me prying the rosary and my aunt told her this:

"April likes praying the Rosary, the written prayers, and the structure of the Anglican Catholic church because it's organized, and the organization helps her focus better with her A.D.D."

It got me thinking.

You see, I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder around the age of seven. This thing has been a pain in my butt ever since.

School was awful for me. I'm was a smart kid, but you couldn't be able to tell by my standardized tests scores. I was always losing books, binders, papers, and homework assignments, I could never keep my room or my backpack clean, and it always felt like a million different things were going on in my head all at once.

In fact, if you notice any spelling errors or grammar mistakes in this blog, that's due to my A.D.D.
I know my grammar (I actually did really well with English and Grammar at school) and yes, I know how to spell, but when I'm writing, it just doesn't come out.

If anyone wants to volunteer to be my editor, let me know.

The medication they put me on helped me focus a bit better, but around the age of 11, they noticed
that it wasn't really having an affect on me anymore.

They tried different medications, and all they ended doing was making me fall asleep. So I stopped taking medication and learned how to control in on my own.

And for the most part, I have. Though there were times that I found it hard to pay attention.

It's hard for my mind not to wonder while I'm sitting, listening to an hour long sermon. I just don't have to attention spam for that long. I would hate it if someone asked me what was the sermon was about, and I didn't really have an answer because I was of in my own little world. And I would feel bad about it because I was just sitting in church, not soaking in God's word.

However, things started to change after I started attending the Anglican Catholic.

In the Liturgy, I'm not just sitting there. Everyone is in full participation. You stand, you kneel, you ake the sign of the cross, you chant, your recite, you take communion, you are not just observing. Your there Getting fed the word of God and the Body and blood of Christ, but you are also in a full act of worship.

For my non liturgical friends may be wondering "What about the sermon?"

There is one. But it's only 15 minutes. Now when I first visited, I thought "How can you "get fed" in 15 minutes". Then I started really listening to the sermons of my priest and was blown away. You see, my rest can preach something, and later through out the week you'll still be thinking about it.

Now, not every priest is the same, when it comes to preaching, but so far, I haven't been disappointed by the 3 I have heard.

Even the crucifix's and the icons all around the sanctuary help me focus. It's easier for me to say my Hail Mary's when I'm looking at a statue or painting of Mary.

Or easier to say the general confession when I am looking at Christ on the Stained Glass window or on a crucifix.

The liturgy was something I had to get used to after being used to the loosey goosy of the Charismatic and Evangelical churches, but after a while, I noticed, I like the Liturgy better.

And I liked the fact that The Church understands that everyone's minds are different.

When I was going to the Charismatic church, my pastor at the time would kind of roll his eyes whenever the subject of A.D.D would come up. He didn't believe it existed. (Which I find funny, because looking back on those days, I'm almost convinced he has A.D.D. himself) and when his mother held a revival, I went up for prayer because I was having a very difficult time in school. In front of everyone she said

"You just need to study!"

OH REALLY? Wow, why didn't I think of that. Oh wait, I did, but I suck at studying and no one really taught me a good way to study until I started taking classes to get my G.E.D.

If it sounds like I'm bitter at the people, I'm not. I grew up hearing it all my life.

You see, I've noticed a pattern in some dispensational churches that mental disorders don't really exist.

In fact, a friend of mine who grew up in the Independent Fundamentalist Church was once told by a church member, that if he just had more faith, he wouldn't need to take medication for his Paranoid schizophrenia.

Yep, not even joking.

So you can imagine the joy I had when I heard my priest recently obtained his Master's degree in Counseling.

Anyway, I think I might be getting sidetrack, but at the same time, made a good point. (My A.D.D in action).

The structure and the devotions, and even the repetition of the prayers and services help me stay out of LA-LA Land, and focusing on God. I could sit down for an hour long sermon and not get a single thing out of it.

I wasn't involved, and certainly not paying attention, so what was the point of being there?

I feel like for the first time in my life, that I'm an actual Bible Student. I'm worshiping God, but at the same time, I've been getting a real education, and the devotions and written prayers assist with that.

Some people may find the Liturgy Boring, and redundant, but it has helped me so much with getting to know Christ and getting to know what it means to be his servant.

The Lord be With you.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who has massive focus issues (one of the reasons why I can't have a blog of my own), I agree that the Catholic Liturgy is helpful in keeping me focused. It's not perfect, and sometimes I do trail off into LA-LA land, but even after just a couple months, I'm doing a lot better with my focus issues in Mass, though also in life in general.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete