Thursday, June 18, 2015

Five Styles of Headcoverings

So While at an Inquirer's class at church this week, the topic of Headcoverings came up.

Turns out there are actually quiet a few women at my parish who really want to practice headcovering while attending mass.

Not covering to my extreme, mind you, But there are some women who miss the days of hats and doilies.

I've been asked before "what do you think counts as a headcovering?"

It's simple...something that covers your head.


In 1st Corinthians, Paul doesn't go into a lot of detail of what counts as a headcovering, do we cover all of our hair, some of our hair, our necks, etc.

I think it's because God doesn't really care what you use. The point is not so much covering as it is a sign of submission.

And in that, we have freedoms and liberties to choose our own covering.

And trust me, there are PLENTY of coverings to choose from.

So, I'll go ahead and list some, shows some examples, and even provide some links to wear you can purchase your favorite style.

 
1. THE CHAPEL VEIL
(A.K.A The Mantilla)

 
This is probably the most familiar in any denomination in the more orthodox style churches.
Light weight, usually see through (typically lace) veils that you just place on your head (can be clipped in if needed).
To purchase this one, or see more in this style, check out Liturgical Time's FACEBOOK , ETSY STORE, And WEBSITE .
 
 
2. HEBREW TICHEL
A Headwrap traditionally worn by married Orthodox Jewish women (Though the tradition is becoming less with wigs) Tichels (Pronounced TICKLE) typically covers all of the hair as Orthodox Judaism teaches a Woman's hair is alluring and sensual.
You can however wrap it in styles that let some hair exposed. I have my very own tutorial on how to do such style HERE!
You can use pretty much any scarf you want to wrap your own tichel or you can find a wide variety of tichel scarves and accessories at WRAPUNZEL.COM 
3. HATS
Hats are a great to start off with, especially if you are concerned about looking different, and very traditional in the Anglican church.
Big ones, small ones, colors, shapes, etc. Hats can fit into any woman's style.
I personally have a more appeal to scarves because of the way the very and form to my head, but that's just me.
If you are looking for ornate and Unique, I highly recommend MS. PURDY'S
4. WIDE HEADBANDS
Simple, elegant, and easy to put on, the wide headband tends to be a favorite amongst headcovering women.
You can also just take a thin scarf and tie it around your head with the tails hanging or tied in a bow.
For various headbands, check out GARLANDSOFGRACE.COM .
 
5. HIJAB
(Full Veil)
My personal favorite and here's why:
It's the most modest, it's (in my opinion) the closets style to the original early church, and when I first started attending the Anglican Catholic church (while wearing the full veil) all of the female saints on the stained glass windows wear similar style coverings. Now this is not a style for everyone, but it's the style ,that when I wear it, as a full act of worship.
Some people have asked me if I am from the middle east while wearing it, but I have had a few people ask if I was from Romania, Hungry, and Greek Orthodox.
A long enough scarf can become a hijab with the help of safety pins.
For a tutorial on how I wrap mine, click HERE!
 
There are other various styles out there, but these are my five favorite and the five most used in the Headcovering Community.
 
Feel free to try any of them or create your own.
 
May the lord be with you.


2 comments:

  1. I ware a hat any time I am out in public, unless my husband asks me to wear my wide head band or I am in the pool, then I put one on as soon as out of the water. I also have a light sensitivity, and the hats help (two birds one stone?). I would love a veil though for special events, and I do have prayer shawl I cover with in my prayer closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your black outfit looks much like an Orthodox nun, indeed.

    ReplyDelete